Sunday, August 3, 2008

Uninspired

It's been a few weeks, but I'm still here, and things are much as they've been since I moved over a month ago now. It's hotter. I'm still splitting rent at least in regards to my kitchen with my cockroach friends who have become reclusive but generous in their indications of their presence. Just in case you haven't had to "Google" it yet, cockroach poop DOES look like mini mouse droppings, but apparently it's rare to have both an ant and a cockroach problem, so my apartment must be a magical place of pestulent richness, a perfect world where ant and cochroach co-exist in mutual infestation.

The Itallian still greets me with a kiss on the cheek, but it's not as thrilling as it was the first time.

Did I already mention it's hotter? Today it was 107 F. I've decided that the "F" now stands for "freaking ridiculously hot!!!" (sorry mom).

You've all heard the expression, "kick the bucket." I've not had a confrontation with death, per se, but I did kick a frog this week. It really hurt. I immediately pronounced it to be the grotesque horned frog, of which I've heard local lore, but one of my Texas friends has convinced me it was just a Texas sized frog. Tell that to my toe, it's still sore. Please tell me you're enjoying the visual image of me tripping over a frog during an evening jog? I know I didn't set up the story well, but you have to appreciate it nonetheless.

Work has picked up into full swing. This last week was a bear. It started off in Paradise, literally in Paradise, TX on a work retreat, and ended the week with a long day of COD. Once or twice a week, I'm assigned to be Counselor on Duty, or COD for short. I have a love/hate relationship with COD. It's a dream to finally be working with students again, but such a burden to remind myself that it's going to be months before I feel truly competent in my UTA/Texas Ed. knowledge---I'm not a very gracious green horn. Nevertheless, I at least feel like a half-way contributing member of the office now.

We've also divided up assignments for the fall fair circuit, which I'll hearforth refer to as TACRAO, or The Neverending Recruiting Season (nevermind the lack of congruence between the acronym). I get to go to San Antonio and discover the Alamo in late October, venture to Corpus Christi for a conference in early November and then tread new ground in the yet undiscovered state of Louisianna when I go to New Orleans in February.

To wrap things up in this informative if yet thus far, unentertaining post, I enjoyed the Beth Moore Live Simulcast this weekend at the church I've been attending. I found it delightfully curious that Beth (the speaker) mentioned, out of the 715 locations on satellite feed, Wenachee Washington, the home town of one of my besties and Albany Oregon, home to Albany First Assembly, which will always in my mind be the "rival" church of my own beloved KCAG, a fact which I should probably seek counseling over, as there really is no room for a spirit of competition in the body of Christ.

Well, that's all she wrote. I love and miss you all and plan for my next blog to be written with much less neglect than a much more thorough attention to prose and motiff. I plan to share the top ten things I appreciate most about my new home and the top ONE million I miss most about the home that will always be home in my heart.

On a lighter note, I passed an establishment near the church I'm attending that advertised "Drive through beer."

God bless Texas.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey your supposed to kiss the frogs not kick them!

Anonymous said...

Well, I just got around to reading your message of a week ago. I see by the newspaper that it is still very hot in DALLAS!. Texas that is!!It is supposed to be about 83 here today. I'm not sure we can handle it!! Marvin is taking a few sick days last wk and this. He spent a cpl of nites in the ICU after experienceing a lt. hart atak. He is ok but has a Dr. apt tomorrow to find out if more needs to be done to him. He also had a skin cancer removed from his lip which is fine now but painful at the time. I think he would rather be enjoying the weather in Texas than sitting at home doing nothing!! He hopes to go back to work Wed. I'm fine. Only lazy! Isn't that what you are sposed to be when you are semi-retired & its summer time? Love you bunches and think of you lots.

Anonymous said...

I love to read your blogs. Your witty verbage brings a smile to my face...which is a good place for a smile cuz it wouldn't look good anywhere else...keep it up you brighten my day with your adventures.

Anonymous said...

Hello Sarah, Just talked to your mom yesterday for a bit and she sent me your blog address at my request. She had so much fun telling me about the frog you tripped over that I thought I should read it for myself. Ron and I laughed at your take on the cops on wheels and the bug problems. Wow and I thought having mice and ants were bad. yuck. Hey I had the chance to visit with Nate yesterday in Costa Rica and hear about all of his latest adventures. He loves what he is doing right now and has enjoyed the many field trips. You can e-mail him if you like at nnoble@linfield.edu and he responds about once a week. He has to go to a local coffee shop to get good reception for the Skye and to get his e-mails. The rest of the clan is doing well including Matt and Kira who are busy with new job and school respectively. Matt is working at a ballistics lab blowing stuff up and inventing new ways of purifying water in Iraq etc... he feels that he may be in over his head but he loves the challenge. Blowing stuff up seems to suit him! ha. David is playing football as a junior. The team has a three year loosing streak (meaning no wins at all in season games) which tends to be frustrating on every level. Becca is homeschooling this year and has kept herself busy baking, making applesauce, playing soccer and growing arm pit and leg hair as any self respecting 6th grader should do. Her greatest lament right now is that I won't let her shave her legs yet. Even convincing arguments about the tedious task that must be kept up have not dissuaded her and she reminds me regularly that the hair is getting longer and darker. I stubbornly hold on to her childhood and I know if I relent she will grow up and become a 7th grader by next spring help!!! Ron is busy looking for the next huge project since the new police station is built now and the pressure is off. I am having fun teaching Rebecca at home and 4th and 5th grade at church on wed nights and just started a 6th grade girls group at our home to discuss becoming young women, purity, following Christ etc... should be interesting! Well Sarah, I have prayed for you often and I know you have faced some incredible challenges. I love to see your blog responses to trials and I know that some of the trials are left unsaid. Of course you have been a living testimony of God's faithfullness and we rejoice over the ways you express your needs being met. We love you and will continue to pray for you, Sue