Friday, July 11, 2008

Spraying for bugs

I came home to my apartment after a long week of work, and my eighth day of successful metroplex rushhour vehicular navigation (thank you Sally Nogivan---my GPS) to find a small yellow card on my counter. Considering I'd found a giant cockroach in that same spot the night prior, this miniscule, mass produced memo provoked no screams of terror nor tears of defeat. My apartment was sprayed for bugs. Thank you God!

Next move, spray myself. That's right, I sprayed the exposed areas of my body with "Off!" Skinfantastic (who really came up with that name?) Was I planning a trek into the woods or a camping trip along a lake? No, no--I just needed to check my e-mail. That's right, my e-mail.

Checking my e-mail means packing up the lap top to walk three blocks down to the Grenada Market, where I thriftfully utilize my public resources made available by an upscale sort of quickie mart. I sit outside, because I feel less conspicuous about the fact that I don't plan to buy anything. Thus, the bug spray.

I found out that cockroaches can also fly, and not just in Singapore, like my friend Joann informed me during a conversation we had post-incident last night. I think she was meaning to comfort me. My co-worker must have had similar intentions when she independently confirmed that "yeah, did you know that sometimes they fly too?"

I'm an obvious advocate for the procurement of knowledge, it's not just a paycheck, but seriously, the cliche, "ignorance is bliss" comes to mind.

2 comments:

Mrs. McDonough said...

I'm thrilled that you have a blog chronicling your Tey-haas (that's how I pronounce Texas in my head every time I think of where you're living now) adventures. Yay for me!

LDeanM said...

I love your blog. You have a refreshingly humerous style...you must get that from your mother. By the way she loves you and is so proud of your Adventure-woman outlook.